The International Loupe Awards Competition Rules
The Open Competition
- The International Loupe Awards Competition is open to all Photographers.
- By entering the Competition You hereby accept these Competition Rules and the Terms and Conditions
- Closing date of regular entries: Entries and the Entry Fee must be submitted by 31th October 2013.
- The Entry Fee is USD$35.00, The Entry Fee allows you to enter one (1) image. You may enter as many images as you wish, each additional image entered is USD$35.00.
- To enter, you must upload your Entry(s) at the following website: www.loupeawards.com (the 'Website'), following the on-screen instructions carefully.
- Entrants may enter as many images as you wish (the 'Entry' or 'Entries') in the Competition. Each Entry must be entered into a Category. Entrants may enter all their Entries into one Category, or any of the eight Categories.
- Entrants must upload their Entries as digital files at www.loupeawards.com and comply with the following specifications:
There is no time or date restriction on when the image was taken.
Social Media attacks on the judges and the judging process.
Any public or social media attacks on the integrity of the judges, their qualification to judge or the process under which
they act will be taken into consideration by the competition organisers. Any situations, materials, discussions or postings
that are deemed to be offensive or against the nature of the awards will result in a disqualification of the entrant.
Transparency and fairness in social discussions. If an entrant or entrants call the
judging or feedback of the judges into question in a public or social media forum without displaying the related image to offer
context to the discussion, the awards organisers reserve the right to post the related image(s) in question so as to give a proper
basis of discussion.
Commercial, Advertising & Fashion
- sRGB or Adobe98 colour space, 8-bit;
- Measure 2300 Pixels on the longest side;
- Be saved as a JPEG at a setting of 10 (100%) higher.
- Winning Entrants must also be able to provide a high resolution digital file suitable for offset printing if required.
Images in this category must have been commissioned or part of a commercial assignment. The image does not need to be the image used by the client or published but must have been part of a commercial shoot. Images eligible for this category include industrial, corporate, food, still life, jewelry, product, lifestyle, architectural, fashion and travel. Subject matter is not important but the purpose the image was created for is. Fashion images must be able to convey the clothing or fashion item in the image. (Images of well lit beautiful people are not fashion.) Commercial and Advertising images are made to illustrate a concept, lifestyle or product to be sold. The addition of non photographic elements such as branding and copy are allowed. High levels of retouching are understood to be part of the industry and the judging will take this into consideration. The Judges will consider camera craft, post production techniques, the direction of the subject and the purpose of the image. A broad view will be taken on how the image could be used in a Commercial, Advertising or Fashion context.
Images in this category are generally more conceptual or produced images that illustrate a topic or subject. This can range from an abstract concept, stock photography, magazine assignments and websites to a carefully constructed scene depicting a story or event. Images in this category can be commissioned or self commissioned. Due to the broad subject matter in the category, judges will be asked to assess the image on the concept that the image is illustrating, and not to judge based on the constraints of the category description.
This category includes urban landscapes and depictions of nature images. Landscape's are images of the visible features of an area, including physical elements such as landforms, living elements of flora and fauna, abstract elements like lighting and weather conditions, and human elements like human activity and the built environment. Images in this category can be interpretations of a scene. An entry can be produced from more than one photographic element. eg. A more dramatic sky could be added. Images in this category can be commissioned or self commissioned.
People & Portrait
This category must capture the likeness of a person or a small group of people, in which the face and expression is predominant. Images are also eligible which are street or environmental photography where people are predominant in the scene. Images in this category can be commissioned or self commissioned.
Images in this category are 'Story Telling' or 'Documentary' in their nature. They are in the moment captures. This means that the images are true candid moments where the subjects are not posed or directed. Minor contrast, spot removal and tonal adjustments are allowed however manipulation of the image including the addition or removal of elements in the image are not allowed. Images in this category can be commissioned or self commissioned.
Science & Nature
Images in this category must be of nature, wildlife or scientific. Minor contrast, spot removal and tonal adjustments are allowed however manipulation of the image including the addition or removal of elements in the image are not allowed. Images in this category can be commissioned or self commissioned.
Images related to any sporting endeavor are allowed in this category. The judging considerations will be based on subject matter, impact, and camera craft.
Sporting portraits are allowed in this category. Images in this category are 'Story Telling' or 'Documentary' in their nature. They are in the moment captures. This means that the images are true candid moments where the subjects are not posed or directed. Minor contrast, spot removal and tonal adjustments are allowed however manipulation of the image including the addition or removal of elements in the image are not allowed. Images in this category can be commissioned or self commissioned.
Images in this category are to be related to an actual wedding. Images must be taken as part of an engagement or wedding. Images taken in workshops or self commissioned are not eligible and should be entered into another category.
Images will be judged Category by category, category winners will be chosen on the highest individual averaged image score. In the case of a tie the aggregated score will be calculated to determine the winner.
Judging will be blind. No names or other indicators will be shown to lead to the entrant
To enter, you must upload your image via the following website: www.loupeawards.com (the "Website"), following the on-screen instructions carefully.
Entries will be judged by nominated judges.
Each Image will be scored by 5 separate judges.
The 5 scores will be averaged to produce a final score.
Winners from each category will be selected and announced from the 1st of December 2013
Entries in the Sport Category must be "In the moment" captures. Image compositing is not allowed in this category. Winning images in this category deemed to be composited images will be stripped of their category placing, prize money and or prizes.
Entries in the Photojournalism Category must be "In the moment" captures. Image compositing is not allowed in this category. Winning images in this category deemed to be composited images will be stripped of their category placing, prize money and or prizes.
Additional non financial gold distinction, gold, silver and bronze merit awards will be will be awarded based on the averaged 5 voting scores as follows
- The highest final score within each category will be deemed the category winner
- In the case of a category tie the 5 individual scores will be added together to produce a score tie calculation. The Image with the highest score tie calculation will be deemed the winner.
- The Top 5 placed Images from each category will be selected and announced from the 1st of December 2013 and continue through to the final round of judging.
- In the event that images are still tied at the end of the judging process, those images will be re-judged by a further independent judging panel to produce the winner.
- The finalists will be judged by a panel of elite judges. The scores will be averaged to produce a final score.
- The highest final score will be deemed the major prize winner
- In the case of a tie the individual scores will be added together to produce a score tie calculation. The Image with the highest score tie calculation will be deemed the winner.
- The overall winner of the International Loupe Awards 2013 will be announced on-line from the 1st of December 2013
The decision of The International Loupe Awards is final.
- Platinum Award scored 1st 95-100,Gold Award scored 90-94,Silver Award scored 85-89, Bronze Award scored 80-84
- The Platinum, gold, silver and bronze awards recognized by the judges as high quality images and worthy of recognition in the competition.
General Competition Rulles
Ownership of the Image
- The International Loupe Awards recognizes that you retain full ownership of the copyright in each Entry.
- The International Loupe Awards reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify and remove any entry that does not comply with the following requirements, even after the entry is submitted on the Website. You warrant and represent, in respect of each entry submitted by You ("Entry"), as follows:
- You are the sole owner and author of each Entry
- The image presented for judging must be 100% photographic in origin, generally this means using a camera or similar device.
- You have the right to make Your entry available to the Competition
- Each entry does not contain personally identifiable information about You or any other person(s)
- Each Entry does not contain any infringing, threatening, false, misleading, abusive, harassing, libelous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, scandalous, inflammatory, pornographic or profane content
- Each entry does not contain any material that could constitute or encourage conduct which would be considered a criminal offense, give rise to civil liability, or otherwise violate any law
- Each entry does not infringe upon the copyrights, trademarks, contract rights, or any other intellectual property rights of any third person or entity, or violate any person's rights of privacy or publicity.
- Your Entry does not include:
You agree to fully indemnify The International Loupe Awards in respect of all royalties, fees and any other monies owing to any person by reason of Your breaching any of the foregoing.
You confirm that each person depicted in the Entry has granted permission to be portrayed as shown. Any costumes, props or other materials used must be rented or borrowed with the permission of the owner, and all other relevant permissions must have been obtained.
The International Loupe Awards will run an on line voting process whereby members of the public may vote for a favorite image. If there is sufficient evidence (in The International Loupe Awards sole discretion) to suggest malpractice and manipulation of the rating process, then The International Loupe Awards has the right to remove the relevant Entry or Entries and, if necessary, award the prize to a different contestant. The International Loupe Awards decisions are final.
All entrants understand that any image submitted to the competition may be used by The International Loupe Awards, and its Event Partners, for marketing and promotional purposes of the event only. You hereby grant Loupe Awards a non-exclusive, irrevocable license in each Entry throughout the world in perpetuity in all media for any use directly or indirectly connected with the Competition, including, but not limited too:
- trademarks owned by third parties
- copyrighted materials owned by third parties (including movie dialog or musical compositions)
- names, likenesses, voices or other characteristics identifying celebrities or other public figures, living or dead
- Entries in which You have purchased or secured the rights to use stock images
- Entries which contain any commercial content that promotes any product or service other than that of Loupe Awards.
- Entries containing screen credits
Any photograph used by The International Loupe Awards shall carry a credit line. Any failure to provide such credit line shall not be deemed to be a breach, as long as The International Loupe Awards uses its reasonable endeavors to rectify such failure within a reasonable period from the date of notice of such failure.
You acknowledge that is Your responsibility for protecting any Entry against image misuse by any third party, for example, but not limited to the insertion of a watermark. The International Loupe Awards and its Event Partners assume no responsibility and are not liable for any image misuse.
The International Loupe Awards assumes no responsibility for any incorrect, inaccurate or incomplete information, whether caused by website users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition, and The International Loupe Awards assumes no responsibility for technical, hardware or software failure of any kind, for lost network connections, garbled computer transmissions, other problems or technical malfunctions with regard to the Competition. The International Loupe Awards assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, corruption, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alteration of Entries. The International Loupe Awards is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer on-line systems, servers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail addressed to The International Loupe Awards on account of technical problems, human error or traffic congestion on the Internet or any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to Your or any other person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in the Competition. If for any reason a contestant's entry cannot be viewed or is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud or technical failures, The International Loupe Awards assumes no responsibility.
In no event will The International Loupe Awards, its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries and related companies, Event Partners, its advertising or promotion agencies, or its officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives or agents be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind, including direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, special or punitive damages arising out of any contestant's access to and use of the Website. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, everything on the Website is provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including but not limited to, the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for purpose or use or non-infringement.
You agree to participate in related publicity and to the use of your name and likeness for the purposes of advertising, promotion and publicity without additional compensation.
There are no alternatives available for prize winners.
Winners will be published on-line on www.aperturewards.com
No late entries accepted, all entries are to be entered, accepted and paid by the advertised closing date, no exceptions
Entry fees and prizes are quoted in USD, currency conversions are on screen at point of entry. The International Loupe Awards does not account or have any liability for any participants' bank fees and charges that may be levied in currency conversion and currency transaction by the participating bank or institution. Prizes are paid in USD, currency conversions to local currency are at winner's discretion at the time of conversion.
Loupe Awards decisions are final. Right of rejection and or right of refusal are at the discretion of the event organizers and can happen at any time
Entry receipts for the competition are stored in your account details. Your purchase receipt will be listed there.
All entries are subject to the laws of Australia and the state of Victoria.
All terms and conditions subject to change without notice.
- judging the Competition
- displaying the winning entries and runners up at public exhibitions promoting The International Loupe Awards and organized by The International Loupe Awards
- inclusion within the Website, a Awards book, magazine or similar
- inclusion within any materials promoting of the Competition and / or any exhibition organized by The International Loupe Awards or its Event Partners, in the promotion of The International Loupe Awards
- inclusion on Competition- and exhibition-related products to be sold by The International Loupe Awards or any third party following the individual agreement by the author
- sub-licensing the Entries to the press for reproduction in connection with the Competition and any exhibition
- allowing viewers of the Website to view images on a computer screen, PDA or mobile telephone and store such pages in electronic form on disk or on a PDA or mobile telephone (but not on any server or other storage device connected to a network) for their personal, non-commercial use only.
- being chosen and entered into promotional competitions by The International Loupe Awards or its Event Partners for marketing and promotional purposes.